Andy wouldn’t mind seeing:
- The Verve
- Tegan and Sara
- The Breeders
- Slightly Stoopid
- Aesop Rock
- Vampire Weekend
- Kraftwerk (Zombienaaation)
- Rilo Kiley
- Animal Collective
- Flogging Molly
- Man Man (!!)
- Minus The Bear
- My Morning Jacket
- Simian Mobile Disco
- Holy Fuck
- Grand Ole Party
And there are a lot of other names that sound familiar/good:
- Les Savy Fav
- The Bees
- Blonde Do Role
- The Bird and the Bee
- 120 Days
- The Field
- Sons & Daughters
- Austin TV
- Shout Out Louds
Social social social social.
I think I’d like to work a bit now.
So, at big companies like this it appears you get to do these “performance review things,” anyway I ended up spending far longer working on it than I wanted to when I should have been rapidly typing things like
request.user but I figured I could make up for some of that by posting a good chunk of it here.
Just getting moving, between integrating myself with the company and pushing for support for Jaiku I feel these first months were certainly my slowest, but with a solid plan and commitment to it I feel that this is just the beginning.
- Oh em gee super sekret.
- Biking to work about once a week.
- Contributing energy, excitement and enthusiasm / pleasant to work withness / constructive feedback and helpful suggestions is always one of my main strengths.
- Code-wise, I feel I do a good job of contributing well-thought-out, simple, useful designs, generating great new ideas and staying abreast of new developments in the industry, a close connection to open source developers.
- I move quite fast and make a lot of progress when the path is clear, tends to be very helpful for people wanting to experiment with an idea.
- I’d like to think I cultivate relationships between engineering groups, I definitely feel that will be a strong point of mine once I’ve had a chance to interact with more groups.
Areas for Development
- I feel I could always test much better and do better at keeping design docs up to date, I end up running ahead of those far too often, I feel this will improve greatly as I am exposed to more great testers via code reviews, nothing drives me forward as well as working with bright people.
- I would love to teach and mentor others more, I feel I frequently skimp on this due to the feeling of lacking time or for getting frustrated with people who are still learning, I think I can improve this by beginning to write more documentation for projects, documentation for APIs and things like that.
- Complete projects that I started is a big one for me, I’ve noticed myself dropping out of projects here at Google once the meetings become about what I feel is just large company red tape, I’d like to improve this by learning enough of what the issues people are facing are that I can solve them before my interest dies completely. Additionally, simply having the stamina to get through the boring parts long enough to be a useful contributor again.
- Providing leadership, I’m quite used to running my own projects but at a company of this size and nature it requires much more to be a leader that can contribute, I plan to improve this by working with great leaders and taking on larger and larger responsibilities.
Career Development Objectives
My past objectives in career development have always been related to starting projects that bring together small groups of bright individuals in a way that allows them to thrive and produce free products that move towards making the world a better place and in the process learn greatly by being surrounded by these people and working with them.
So moving here felt like quite a departure at first, but I feel I’ve found the right niches to dive into where I can again contribute and progress towards those goals.
My plans are to bring about environments within the company that breed the kind of passion and excitement that I’ve always taken for granted at smaller companies and smaller projects, and through working in those environments implement and launch innovative products that assist other developers both internally and externally in bringing that same passion and excitement to their environments.
Having a platform like Jaiku on which to rapidly develop new tools is one way in which I intend to begin accomplishing, and working with some of the more interesting developer-facing projects internally and externally is another. Along the way I intend to re-acclimatize myself with C++ and Java so that I will be more quick to contribute to those projects that are based on those languages.
My new bike – Photo copyright Mission Bicycles – CC BY-NC
The glamour shots are out and Joi just blogged his. The picture above isn’t actually the final configuration for mine (but it is such a pretty picture), I ended up swapping the grip tape and seat for black because the pinks weren’t totally matching. It’s name is trotz. They’re taking orders, so go grab your own
Yay! Last night after a bunch of hard work by Lindsay and Travis to clean up the house in preparation for the thanksgiving party we decided we would crack the seal on the projector and watch a not-mind-intensive movie (Spiderman 3) on our couches. I had picked up Anni to join the festivities and shortly after we started Mika, Teemu and Emma all arrived. Ample couch space for all seven of us and some cozy blankets / reindeer skins later it was a damn fine way to wind down an evening.
It’s starting to feel like a real house ‘n stuff. -cozy- Still looking for a roommate or two for downstairs.
Woke up, wandered downstairs without a shirt on, turned on the pac, made some cereal and sat my ass on the couch to read the internet. Word.
My house feels pretty lonely without my housemates here.
More like 3.5 but the kid (ha, I can say that, I’m old now) who proved the universality of the 2,3 Turing machine is giving a tech talk right now. I’ll have to watch the video afterwards.
But yeah, 3 and a half weeks in, how do I feel? (This is one of those list posts)
- Only a little like a cog, far less than I expected to even if I’ve already found myself complaining about changes to my cube walls (they put a hole in so that team members on either side of the wall could communicate, but it now means I stare at the back of somebody’s head).
- They moved an Argentine dude near me, which is cool I get to practice some Spanish and I have a good track record of befriending Spanish and Portuguese speakers. He brought me a chocolate cookie treat yesterday.
- Mediamatic has a much better coffee machine and coffee system all together. The espresso machine here lamely gives you miniscule amounts of coffee and you have two… handles? One which stores probably 4 people worth of coffee and one that stores half a person if that. So either you get mega-tiny coffee or you have to pack a big cup full and waste a bunch of beans. Additionally the milk is stored across the room from the machine so you have to do this little juggling act running back and forth to get a cup, steam your milk and pull your coffee. I suppose I can file a ticket. How do I buy one of the Mediamatic machines for my home? And where do I get a better handle? I’ll totally be the guy who has his own, I want copies of both the size handles that Mediamatic has, they appear to have the same form factor. Oh and the steam wand is this wussy looking white thing, I suppose it does the job but come on give me some industry.
- My monitor is BIG, that’s nice. It sort of feels like sitting in front of a microwave though, I’m very superstitious about radiation.
- Why isn’t my linux faster? Firefox specifically eats everything it can get. There are some internal howtos for boosting the performance but I was really looking forward to a computer that can move faster than I can, j00 know? Monitor is fucking huge though. Theoretically we can upgrade to a newer version pretty soon. Also, just switched to FluxBox which speeds things up as all I use is a terminal and a web browser anyway.
- Breakfast burrito every morning. Yumtastic.
- Have my bike near my desk, sweeet.
- I think the Ops guys have a much more dorm-like office than we do, kind of nice atmosphere over there. We need to get a rug, it’ll really tie the room together.
I’m not sure who to be more pissed off at, Citibank or Safeway.
I decided to continue my pain and suffering and place an order online with Safeway for some household essentials because they can deliver 7pm-9pm. Seemed to go pretty well except today at 1:59pm I receive a call from Safeway, “your card was declined we need another one,” I say it’s probably my bank blocking things for the 10th time in the last 2 weeks and that I’ll sort it out with them and then they can re-run the card. He says, sure here’s the number to call me on when you have that sorted out.
So I call up Citibank, go through the same set of hoops answering the questions before they even ask them because I’ve done this so many times now. They rattle off another set of “unusual activity” charges and ask me to confirm them, I do.
Time to call back Safeway. First girl who answers has no idea what I am talking about and promptly hands me to a manager, manager transfers me to whatever department I am supposed to be talking to, rings for a while finally somebody else answers and asks what I am calling about, transfers me to the same department, rings for a while, he answers again, oh I guess nobody is there, but they just called me, well they leave at 2pm you should try the 800 number.
I try the 800 number, get transferred two more times. My order is cancelled, what I should do is go make another order. Yeah fucking right.
Btw, my IKEA sofas, one of which I don’t have screws for, the other has the wrong frame, just doesn’t fit, it’s for a different sofa.
update Guy at Safeway was outside, called me back, re-running the order. I guess that at least is something.
Or lack thereof. My gas was being worked on Friday so they had to turn it off, they couldn’t get inside to check that all my appliances were working “safely and efficiently” so they never turned it on. In order to get it turned on before the 9th I have to schedule an all day appointment. Yup all day, and no warning as to when they show up so between 8am and 8pm I am, for the 4th time in 7 days, having to sit at my fucking house waiting for somebody to possibly show up sometime.
I mean who the fuck do these companies think we are? Who the hell has the ability to sit on their ass all day and not go more than 5 minutes away from their house? Absolutely fucking ridiculous. Even if I were to schedule an appointment on Friday I would STILL have to miss the entire day of work because the appointments are 4-hour intervals between 8 and 12 or between 13 and 17. They can’t call ahead, either.
I wish I was the kind to run companies so I could put all these places out of business by having accurate appointments, adjustable scheduling and alternative drop-off methods.
Going to go shower at a friends house now.